Newhaven Rubbish Fire Continues for Days
A fire at an industrial estate where 200 tonnes of rubbish are alight has continued for a fourth day in Newhaven.
The blaze, described by firefighters as "serious", started on Friday morning at Skip-It containers in North Quay Road.
East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service have been at the scene since then.
Chief Fire Officer for ESF&RS Des Pritchard said he expected crews to be on the scene for some considerable time.
He said thousands of litres of water from the River Ouse were being poured on to the fire each hour, which was causing a lot of run-off.
"We are conscious about pollution in the river Ouse so we are working very closely with the Environment Agency about where the water goes," he said.
A service spokeswoman said it was still unclear when the fire would be put out.
The town is affected by smoke which is causing problems with visibility on roads. Residents and motorists have been advised by Public Health England to take steps to avoid it.
On Sunday afternoon, the fire service stated on Twitter: "Newhaven fire's still creating a lot of smoke - please take care on the roads in the area and avoid it completely when possible."
Public Health England issued advice via the fire service, which said residents in areas affected by smoke should stay indoors and keep doors and windows closed.
It said any smoke could be an irritant and people should either avoid being outdoors in the smoke or limit their exposure to it.
Motorists have been advised to keep windows and air vents closed and turn off air conditioning.
Respiratory symptoms could include coughing, wheezing, breathlessness, phlegm and chest pain. People affected should seek medical advice or call NHS 111.
The cause of the fire is not yet known. No-one has been injured.
| ||Collated by Philip Turnbull |