Is Serial Firebug Targeting Homes?
A serial arsonist could be on the loose as a police investigation is launched into whether two serious blazes in Southampton are linked.
A home in Shirley Avenue, Southampton, was broken into and a fire started in its kitchen when the offender put a sofa cushion on a gas hob before lighting it.
Now officers believe a fire the previous night at a flat in nearby Anglesea Road, Shirley, could be connected.
Police discovered a number of expensive photography equipment was taken including a canon 70D DSLR camera, bag containing camera lenses, and an Acer laptop.
Detectives are now urging residents to take all precautions to prevent future burglaries. Advice includes:
- Lock all windows and doors, remembering to double lock UPVC doors (lift handle and turn key);
- Keep all keys out of reach and sight from the letterbox (remember a device could be used to hook keys through a letterbox);
- Do not leave ladders and garden tools in your garden, lock them away in your shed;
- Consider fitting security lighting and a burglar alarm;
- Make use of timer switches to make the property appear occupied.